Browse our "Career Opportunities" section for all current Call for projects
The Fulbright Program was created in the aftermath of World War II with the hope that educational exchange could help lay the foundation for a lasting peace. It was thanks to the initiative of J. William Fulbright that the American government was able to create a program of educational and cultural exchange between the United States and participating countries.
A first cultural agreement between the United States and France was signed in Paris on October 22, 1948 and established the Fulbright Commission in France (Commission franco-américaine d’échanges universitaires et culturels). In 1965, a second cultural agreement signed by the United States and France initiated bilateral funding of the Commission.
Since then, many thousands of American and French students, young professionals, and scholars have helped strengthen the long-standing bonds of friendship and understanding between our two nations, while furthering their own goals of education and career preparation in a wide variety of fields. There have been over 8,000 Americans who have studied in France and over 10,000 French citizens who have benefited from study in the United States through this program.
The Fulbright Commission provides grants to French and American students (graduate and post-graduate levels), young professionals, and scholars wishing to expand their educational experience during a year in the host country.
Fulbright-France Fellowships for French Doctoral Students:
deadline: February 1st, 2012
Fulbright-France Fellowships for French researchers:
deadline: February 1st, 2012
For information about the general Fulbright-France agreement, see:
For information about the Fulbright USA international educational exchange program, see:
As part of the Fulbright program, the Franco-American Commission for Educational Exchange has launched three regional research grant programs with Aquitaine, Nord-Pas de Calais and Alsace. It also signed a partnership with the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan for masters and PhD-level study and research grants.
These programs are for U.S. associate, assistant and full professors.
Participating institutions and eligible fields are listed in the documents below.
Length of the grant depends on the region: between 2 and 9 months for Aquitaine, 6 and 12 months for Nord-Pas de Calais and a maximum of 12 months for Alsace.
Fulbright / Aquitaine Regional Council Award fo US Citizens
- Number of Awards: Approximately three for 3 months to 9 months
- Fields: The Aquitaine region welcomes candidates in all fields, but preferably in the following areas where Aquitaine international research teams are particularly strong: analytical chemistry, materials chemistry, subsoil energy, optic-lasers, health sciences, environment sciences, information sciences, archeology, economics and management.
Bourses de recherche Fulbright/ région Aquitaine pour les citoyens ou ressortissants de l’Union Européenne
- Nombre de bourses : de 2 à 4 pour un séjour de 3 à 12 mois.
- Domaines: Tous domaines liés aux priorités de la recherche en région et plus particulièrement (mais pas exclusivement) : Chimie analytique, chimie matériaux, optique - lasers, énergies du sous-sol, sciences de la santé, sciences de l’environnement, sciences et technologies de l’information, archéologie, économie et gestion.
Nord-Pas de Calais:
Nord Pas de Calais Regional Council Award for US citizens
- Number of Awards: Approximately four for 3 months to 12 months
- Fields: The Nord - Pas de Calais region welcomes candidates in the hard, social and human sciences, preferably in the following areas: multidisciplinary projects involving biology, health, physics, chemistry, math and computer science; advanced technologies of information and communication; cognitive science; ethics, industrial societies; and economic systems.
Bourses de recherche Fulbright/ région Nord-Pas de Calais pour les citoyens ou ressortissants de l’Union Européenne
- Nombre de bourses : de 2 à 4 pour un séjour de 3 à 12 mois
- Domaines : Tous domaines liés aux priorités de la recherche en région et plus particulièrement : Biologie, santé et ses interfaces avec la physique, la chimie, les mathématiques et l’informatique, Technologies avancées de l’information et la communication, Sciences de l’homme et de la société
Fulbright / Alsace Regional Council Award for US Researchers
- Number of Awards: Two to four for 3 months to 12 months
- Fields: The Alsace region welcomes candidates in all fields, but preferably in the following areas where Alsace international research teams are particularly strong: biotechnology, biomaterials, nanoscience, photonics, medical imaging, computer-assisted surgery and medical robots.
Bourses de recherche Fulbright/ région Alsace pour les chercheurs français ou ressortissants de l’Union Européenne
- Nombre de bourses: 1 ou 2 pour un séjour de 3 à 12 mois maximum
- Domaines: Les domaines de recrutement concernent spécifiquement les thèmes prioritaires soutenus par la Région Alsace et l’Etat sur le territoire régional et en particulier (mais de manière non exclusive) les secteurs biomatériaux et imagerie médicale.
Fulbright / Rhône Alpes Award (Junior Research)
_-Number of Grants : 2
_- Fields : This year’s possible awards are in precise fields, including anthropo-archaeology, classical architecture, mathematics, geology, neuroscience, physics (plasma and reactor), materials science, and international business & trade law. Please see http://www.fulbright-france.org/gene/main.php?uni=2&base=335 for specific details on the different research positions on offer.
Founded in 1912, the Ecole Normale Supérieure - Cachan is one of the very prestigious and highly competitive grandes écoles in France (description of the "grandes écoles" system). The Ecole Normale Supérieure - Cachan has two campuses, one in the Paris area and a second in Brittany. It comprises some 17 different academic departments and 12 laboratories.
In the framework of a collaboration agreement signed between the Ecole Normale Supérieure Cachan and the Franco-American Commission for Educational Exchange, The ENS Cachan have the possibility to welcome American students who will receive from the ENS Cachan an international scholarship of 1000€ per month, and from the Franco-American Commission a financial supplement, the plane ticket, a complementary insurance and orientation services. These students will have the status of ENS Cachan/Fulbright grantees.
This program is for U.S. graduating college seniors, masters and PhD-level candidates.
Number of Grants: 2 to 4
Fields are hard sciences, social sciences, humanities, management and technology.
Grants are awarded for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period of 12 months.
Applications and more information :