The Office for Science & Technology is participating in the NAFSA 2012 Annual Conference & Expo in Houston from May 27 to June 1. NAFSA (National Association of Foreign Student Advisers) is the world’s largest nonprofit professional association dedicated to international education. Their annual conference brings together more than 8,000 attendees from 120 countries to share their expertise and form new global partnerships.
Annick Suzor-Weiner, Counselor for Science & Technology at the Embassy of France, and Alberto Pimpinelli, Science & Technology Attaché at the Consulate of France in Houston, TX will be presenting in the session France on the International Scene: New Developments in Higher Education and Research on May 29th at 2:00pm. CampusFrance will also participate in this session along with representatives from American and French universities and the French Higher Education Department. The program and speakers for this session are below.
This session will offer an overview of the latest trends in education, research and international cooperation in France. The session will enable participants to:
have a better understanding of the major changes that higher education and research institutions have been undergoing in France in the last several years, through major investments.
discover new types of international collaboration that can be developed with French Institutions.
Moderator : Olivier Chiche-Portiche, CampusFance, Paris
- 2:00-2:15 pm: French universities and research in the 21st century
Regrouping forces: new University/research hubs and consortia (PRES)
Investing for the future: latest grant programs and consortia (Initiatives of Excellence)
Raising the profile of French universities on the International scene
- Emilienne Baneth-Nouailhetas, Higher Education Attaché, Embassy of France in the US
- Johan Delory, Ministry of Higher Education and Research, Direction of International Relations
- 2 :15 -2:40 pm: Case studies: Sorbonne Université / the Université de Lyon consortium
Why the Sorbonne Université / Université de Lyon PRES?
Examples of international collaboration.
- Jacques Skubich, VP international, University of Lyon
- Sabine Lopez, director of International Relations, Pierre-et-Marie-Curie University
- 2:40-3:00 pm: Campuses across border: SKEMA business school in Raleigh / GeorgiaTech in Lorraine.
From regional campuses to international visibility
The advantages of truly global learning
- Pascal Vidal, Director of SKEMA campus in Raleigh (NC)
- Lorie J. Paulez, Director of Education abroad, GeorgiaTech
- 3:00-3:30 pm: France’s success stories in North America
The French Centres for Excellence in Texas sponsored by the French Embassy
French and European initiatives for research partnerships in Texas
Academic cooperation at the graduate level: joint degrees and dual "cotutelle" PhD degrees
Joint International Research Units with France (UMI)
- Douglas Biow, Director of the Center for European Studies, Director of the French Embassy Center of Excellence, University of Texas at Austin
- Mark Garbey, Department of Computer Sciences, University of Houston
- Alberto Pimpinelli, Science and Technology Attaché, Consulate General of France in Houston
- Annick Suzor-Weiner, Counsellor for Science and Technology, Embassy of France in the US